Moving and Handling General Update
Part of the mandatory training you are required to provide involves safe moving and handling.
Providing quality moving and handling training ensures you are;
- Complying with the law
- Reducing risks from bad practice and encourage good practice
- To promote consistency and reduce injuries in people
- Providing your employees with the knowledge and skills to provide person centred safe care.
Using training standards from The National Back Exchange Disabled Living are able to provide 1 day courses for organisations to achieve the following objectives:
- A basic knowledge of spinal mechanics and function
- The importance of back care and posture, risk factors for back pain
- An awareness of current relevant legislation/professional guidelines, where relevant
- Awareness of risks assessment (including the unexpected/unpredictable) Loads – both inanimate and human, Environment and the importance of good housekeeping and maintenance , Limits of individual capability (clients and staff)
- Knowledge of local policies, and reporting of injuries
- Awareness of the Importance of an ergonomics approach
- Be able to state some principles of normal human movement and promotion of client independence
- Knowledge of how to safely manage inanimate loads
- Start to develop a toolkit of handling strategies for clients with impaired mobility
- A knowledge of how to deal with unpredictable occurrences
- Gain confidence and/or refresh knowledge in the use of equipment, as required
- Problem solving
All healthcare professionals, Care staff, Reablement staff
Staff in Care/ nursing homes,
Maximum 9 people per session
Elizabeth Hallows Chartered Physiotherapist MCSP LPC (Back Care Management)
Beverley Taylor RGN, Moving and Handling Trainer
Alison Meadows RN ONC BA Hons PGCE
Deborah Bell MSc Nursing Studies, Moving and Handling Trainer
Burrows House, 10 Priestly Road, Worsley, Manchester, M28 2LY.
Redbank House, 4 St Chads St, Cheetham Manchester M8 8QA
A venue of your choice
Cost: £95 + VAT (lunch & refreshments provided) for individual bookings
Please enquire for bespoke prices for organisations
- Costs : some courses have a charge per delegate whilst others are charged at a daily rate. Please see the relevant courses for the costs.
- When a trainer is required to travel and / or needs overnight accommodation we aim to keep the costs to a minimum. A standard amount will be quoted when you make the booking.
Disabled Living reserves the right to cancel/rearrange course dates. An alternative date or full refund would be offered. In the case of a delegate cancelling the following charges will be incurred:
28 days or less full cost
5 weeks 75% cost
6 weeks 50% cost
7 weeks 25% cost
8 weeks Full refund
Terms and conditions
Please view the Disabled Living terms and conditions document for our training courses.